Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

How does Your Garden Grow?


For quite some time I have been interested in starting a gardening project of sorts. So when Jeff and I moved to Raleigh and leased an apartment with an amazing porch, we decided to fill some of the space with a hanging window box and a few pots/old containers of seeds. 


 Assembling the hanging box was very easy. We purchased the materials from Walmart and Home Depot. You can find these box and the bedding materials in the gardening department of both these stores. But when it comes to the seeds, I would say that Home Depot has a better array of seeds. 


 We purchased the basil at the farmers market a few weeks ago, so far it has fared well.  In the hanging box we have also included rosemary, a tomato plant and some lettuce. I cannot even begin to start with how happy I am about the lettuce. It makes more since for Jeff and I to grow lettuce at home for salads than to go to the store and buy a box of organic each time. Yeah, I do spend more money on organic lettuce because of two reasons: it tastes better and lasts longer. End of story.


The lettuce has been split into two different places. One in the hanging box and the other in, ironically enough, an old lettuce container we up-cycled.  It feels like Christmas morning every morning I go out to check the plants. I’m just so happy to see it grow and how tall it’s getting. Jeff and I will be having fresh lettuce for dinner and lunch in no time. 


A little lemon tree is also in the process of developing on our porch. Jeff’s dad went to Texas this summer and brought back some lemon seeds in addition to a chili plant. They have both found refuge with us. The tree is growing at a slow pace. Our chili plant is in the hanging box and it too is growing not as fast as I would have intended. But then again we have had rain the past two nights and will continue on for the next few days. 


Come on babies, grow for Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment