Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Must find time for Running

I had mentioned when I started this blog that I fell in love with running this past semester. But with the combination of work and the weather being what it has been the past few weeks (rain, lots of rain), I have found very little time to run. I really miss it. I may not be very fast but practice does lead to improvement.

The other day one of my friends, who is working as a camp counselor for this whole summer, gave me a call. He will be living the next few months with no internet, no TV,  and no cell service. Letter writing will be our form of communication for the rest of the summer. I'm very excited about this! I love writing letters, I feel like it's a dying art form that many people, in the mist of keeping up with technology, take for granted.

Well anyway, we were able to talk via cell phone the other day and of all things we brought up running. Morgan has done half marathons, marathons, and even a tri. Lately I've been seeing in various runner and fitness blogs, a series of races called the Rock n' Roll (insert city here) Marathon Series. From what I have heard the one at Virginia Beach  is very popular.



According to a review I read in the July/August 2009 issue of Fitness magazine, the Virginia Beach half-marathon, includes "twenty bands which attract runners to this usually sold-out race. When you finish, you get a complementary beer." In addition, I met a girl at the gym wearing one of the t-shirts, who said that even the surface isn't very challenging. All flat! 

I bring this idea up to Morgan about potentially running this race with me and he's all for it! I'm getting excited! I should act fast on registration which is over the end of August but if it's a favorite it could end quicker. We just have to find a place to stay for those three days and we should be good. Again, need to find that quick too. 
I've also been debating on doing the St. Louis (RNR) half marathon as well. It would give me a chance to go see my Dad and the rest of the fam. One of my concerns is that this is in October on a Sunday. So when I'm done with the race in the morning, I'll either have to take an evening flight or early in the afternoon. I bet anything  my muscles would be really sore. Maybe I'm thinking too far into this. I probably am :-P

 But I think this way, perhaps registering for these races can give me something to train towards :)

So I think on Sunday I will register for the St. Louis Half and then maybe in a few more weeks register for VA Beach. 

"Garageland"-The Clash

No comments:

Post a Comment