Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cat's Nip Cafe

In addition to the Mad Batter, Cat's Nip Cafe has always held a soft spot in my heart. I met the owner Lauren five years ago. She is quite an extraordinary lady, not only did she run this little coffee/sandwich shop on her own but she was also a full time student. In what study did she pursue, you might wonder? Nutrition of course! Lauren has finished her dietetic internship and is currently working for a school system in Florida. For the time being her mother, Robin, who is equally as amazing, is running the shop.

While I was working on my undergrad, this was the spot where all the nutrition students would come in to do homework and vent out any frustrations about classes. It's also the place where Jeff bought me my first cup of coffee, before we started dating. It's those kinds of moments that I cherish.



It has a welcoming feeling for both students and faculty. The purple and yellow colors that adorn the walls, show pride for the Western Catamounts. Many of the pastries and breads have been baked by local and loyal patrons. In the past Jeff made cornbread for their homemade soups.


Lauren did a research project awhile back regarding if food made with love really makes a difference in the taste. I think she might be onto something. Her lattes are the best. She gets my seal of approval when it comes to her food choices as well. The menu may be small but that really is a good thing. She uses lean meats, avocados, local breads, and fresh vegetables. I like to call these qualities, trustworthy.


For years I've gotten their Magda vegetable sandwich. It's contents include, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, cucumbers, avocados (yesss), and your choice of either hummus or Annie's Cowgirl Ranch Dressing. I always put hummus on mine with whole wheat bread. Ohh it is the best.


Oh yeah and I get a side of BBQ chips.


Bye Magda.


Robin working behind the line. She also is part of an organization called Cullowhee, Inc. I wanted to sit down and ask her a few questions about the organization's intentions for the town. But like any lunch rush, they were busy. I will try and get an interview with her sometime soon.


I wish you the best Cat's Nip. Don't worry I'll be back :)

"Here Comes the Sun"-The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment