Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Why Can’t Mornings Last Longer?


Today is one of those days where I wish the morning would never go away. I think it’s one of the little pleasures in life people tend to take for granted. I really wanted to do nothing this morning but for some reason a good ole breakfast seemed to get me out of that funk. My craving this morning consisted of pancakes, crispy apple smoked bacon, coffee and a juice concoction created by Jeff. 

As this bountiful feast was being prepared, I listed to a podcast from Stuff You Should Know. My old roommate from Asheville got me hooked onto these intriguing on-air shows.  Within the Stuff You Should Know podcasts, there’s also Stuff Mom Never Told You (Ashley’s favorite) and Stuff You Missed in History Class. Today’s selected show was Should there be a Fat Tax? Given the field that Jeff and I are in (dietetics) this was somewhat beneficial for us to tone into. Given it was difficult to fully listen in with the pancakes smoking on the griddle and the sound of Jeff’s juicer, we still caught some interesting tid bits. For example, did you know that in recent surveys young people are more willing to have foods higher in saturated fats taxed in comparison to the older population which are less favorable in having these certain foods taxed?  Oxford researchers have also come to the conclusion that a “17.5% Value Added Tax on unhealthy food could save up to 3,200 lives a year” (Silverman, 2012). You can either go on itunes to hear the whole podcast or http://www.howstuffworks.com/fat-tax1.htm for more information.

This brings up an interesting debate/conversation, should we increase the cost of certain fatty foods in hopes of a decline in mortality rates? The first thing I could feel many people saying would be “we have the right to choose which foods we eat.” This is very true. We do have the free will to select whichever foods we choose. Yet, I see it this way, the incidence of disease and various health implications, have escalated dramatically in the past 20 years or so.  At this rate I would assume that these numbers have the possibility of increasing.  During my internship with both WIC and the VA hospital, I counseled many people who fell under two categories. There were those who wanted to change and were making lifestyle changes to do so, then I saw those who would twist my words around or frankly didn’t give a damn but still showed up to meetings because family encouraged them to do so.  The problem that I would hear most often, it’s easier and cheaper to eat junk food and get fast food than it is to eat fresh produce or cook meals at home. So my thought is this, if these fatty food prices did increase would dietitians and medical staff see different results in terms of weight and lipid values or would the habit still be too difficult to break?

I told Jeff that one day I might want to consider teaching at the university level. This would be a very interesting homework, short essay or classroom discussion topic for students to voice their opinions and see where their minds go.

In other news, I have one week until I take the RD exam. Eeeeekkkk!! Ok rule one: don’t stress, it’s just a test. It’s just a test. Ughhhh. I don’t feel as though my anxiety is as bad as it was a few weeks ago yet for the most part I feel tired from studying this material. Everyone who has taken it says it is really hard. Well at least I know that going in.  I will just keep studying for now and see what happens.

I have also been procrastinating on another project. One of Jeff’s friends, who develops web-sites, and I have been discussing the idea of setting up an on-line portfolio of my projects from the internship. I’ve created an outline I just need to finish that and get some work samples for the project. I keep forgetting this so hopefully tomorrow I can send the information out for him to give me a quote! I had heard of this idea during my internship but never really thought more of it. At least not until I stumbled upon a blog from a dietetic intern from Maryland called Mission Dietitian.  Her blog includes her portfolio as well as her resume. Such an awesome idea and cute layout. I can’t wait to get this project up and going!

Well I need to get myself together for work tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment