Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eat Your Lunch!!!



I never thought I would be one to be big in political topics and ideas. But I feel that the older you get, politics do become your life. Yes oddly enough, I took an introductory politics class for one of my liberal studies requirements in college I had a wonderful professor who would say that every class. Sure enough he is right.

The other day Jeff and I were watching John Stewart, he brought up a topic that from personal experience, I thought was getting better which is the National School Lunch Program or at least the food being served. During my internship last year, I had the privilege to work in a school cafeteria with some very hard working individuals and see the new changes to the menu first hand. The breads are now all whole wheat, the fruits and vegetables are fresher and if they come from a can the sodium and syrup content is much lower, the meats tastes better because they are leaner and even the amount of additional sugar to certain items was omitted.  Case in point, when I would go in and help with breakfast, if cinnamon buns were being served, we topped powdered sugar instead of regular frosting, thus cutting back on calories.

Recently the big issue regards student’s likeliness of the new guidelines. For the most part students are throwing away significant amounts of food. If students want seconds they can receive more fruits and vegetables. Not only do students dislike the taste of food, but also the portion sizes as well. From what I had witnessed working behind the line at the school, to prevent waste and create adequate portion sizes, certain spoons and scoops were numbered to indicate the serving size. If kids had the option of choosing a certain fruit at ½ cup per serving, a #8 spoon would be used.

I think what I am most displeased about is the fact that childhood obesity has become such a huge problem, in which many parents and teachers have expressed concern over, and yet they don’t seem to be on board with the changes or even encourage students to eat more lunch. I mean the fact that a teacher helped create the YouTube video, We Are Hungry, is only adding fuel to the fire in regards of getting kids to adjust to the new changes. Geee great way to set by example. Even looking at the calorie content compared to what it was to a few years ago is actually higher now. It used to be 790 calories and now it’s at 850.

In sharing in John Stewart’s frustration, don’t throw out your food out and eat your lunch!!!!! Stop Complaining!!!
Ok that’s my political issue of the day. Now breakfast.

I started off with something rather heart”y” 


 Dude, cereal is totally my weakness.

And coffee of course. In my awesome San Diego mug. 


 Other news, I will be making a job change soon. No more wing serving. I will be at a place over by Raleigh called Fork and Barrel. It’s got that fine dining/tavern style food and atmosphere. Oh boy wine and beer!!! 

Anyone in the Raleigh area needs to come check us out!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment