Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes (Part 2)


Yes, yes I know I haven’t posted in over a year. But in my defense so much has been going on. The biggest change of all is that Jeff and I have moved in together…… in Raleigh! This was probably one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make. I loved living in the mountains along with the people who I had met during my 7 year stay. But of course we can always visit.

I finished my internship in May. It was probably one of the most energy and mentally draining things I have ever done.  But the good news is that it’s over! Yet I shouldn’t say it was a completely draining experience, I did learn quite a bit about dietetics as well as my strengths and weaknesses in the field. For the longest time I would have thought that, given my food service experience, I would have liked my school nutrition administration rotation the most. While I did learn a lot about the School Nutrition Program, I realized I’m not the kind of person who can be stuck behind a desk all day crunching in numbers. Plus I learned it’s very difficult to get creative with the already set/strict menu in the school’s cafeterias. But then again this is the point of an internship, to experience what you never knew.

What I did find to be quite interesting was my clinical and community rotations. I completed my clinical with the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Asheville.  Having taken two semesters of clinical nutrition during undergrad, I thought it would be as grueling. Luckily I realized that while still being hard at times, I really enjoyed discussing nutrition with patients and their families. It’s even got me thinking about joining a branch of the military. Sounds crazy but it’s still an idea.

I wasn’t too sure about community either (I’m starting to sound like a Debbie Downer here), I’m not too crazy about kids but I really liked practicing my counseling skills at WIC in Buncombe County. For those who are unfamiliar with WIC (Women Infants and Children) it’s a supplemental program for pregnant, post-partum women, their babies and children up to five-years-old.  They provide nutrition education, grocery vouchers as well as promotion of breastfeeding. Yes I went to many, many breastfeeding classes. Lots of boobs and oddly enough many problems occur. For the most part I saw many caring and compassionate Mothers who wanted the best for their children who unfortunately are going through a rough patch in terms of finances.

After I was done with the internship, I did get to go to Bonnaroo again J I didn’t take as many pictures as I did last year but we still had a great time. This year my friend Crystal got to come with us! It wasn’t as hot as last year, it actually got cold at night…what???? This year we got to see Radiohead, the Avett Brothers, Dispatch, Phish, Mogwai, Ben Folds, Foster the People, Rubblebucket, etc. I truly loved the group of people we camped out with this year. We met up with some people my roommate Ashley worked with, along with some fresh faces, straight out of high school. I have to take a moment and reflect on one of our members of our “Bonnaroo Family,” Tyler. I found out a few weeks ago that Tyler had passed away. He was so young and so much fun to be around. Much love and support to his friends, family and reposed soul.

I moved from Asheville to Raleigh in July. I really like the apartment Jeff and I share. It just needs some more furniture and more stuff on the walls. We do have an awesome porch and yes we are starting a little garden. It might be a little out of season but hey when it gets colder we can figure out what to do.

Since moving in the job hunt is on. I’ve had a few interviews but so far no dice. To help with the bills I’m working, oh dare I say it, as a server again. Ughhh. More motivation to get a real job. Like I was saying earlier the possibility of looking into a branch of the military is actually not a bad idea at this point. It would at least give me something to do. Volunteer work is also a possible thought as well.

Well there we go, this is everything that has been going on thus far. If I can make this into a daily ritual we will be good to go J


No comments:

Post a Comment