Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cooking Light: Macaroni and Four Cheeses

I've been meaning to try this recipe for some time now. One of my good friends just had a baby (her second!) so I'm going to drop this delicious morsel off sometime today :)

I'm a big fan of Cooking Light. This special issue has been remarkable with lower calorie, yet delicious meals!

Yesterday I made for the first time the macaroni and cheese recipe.
Calorie content. 
Getting ready for cooking with my awesome beer apron! 

Ingredients: 
1 pound uncooked medium elbow macaroni
1 slice of bread
2.5 cups of 1% low-fat milk
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) grated Parmesan
1/2 cup (2 oz.) crumbled gorgonzola
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoons of pepper
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons of melted butter
A few ingredients
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Step 2: Bring water to a boil and add the noodles. Follow directions on box or until macaroni is tender. 
Once the macaroni is complete,drain water and rinse with cold water, drain again and set to the side. 

Step 3: in a food processor or blender, crumble the 1 slice of bread. 
Set to the side, this will be the last thing you use. 
Step 4: Shred the cheeses. When I was finished to this I put all the cheeses into one container. 
Ohh I love you cheddar. 
Yeah that's right mmm
I had to separate some of the parm
Good thing I'm not using all of this, it'll be great for salads :)
Ohh and I love the smell :-P
A lactose intolerant's worst nightmare...but it's sooo goood
Step 5: Bring milk and bay leaves to a simmer. 
Once it has heated, remove from heat and cover for 5 minutes. 

Place the flour into a small container with some cold water and whisk together. This way the flour won't curdle in the milk. 

Once the milk has cooled add the flour mixture and whisk constantly. 
Return to medium heat whisking constantly.
Keep doing this until the mixture is thick!
 Once the mixture is thick remove from heat and start adding the cheeses.
Jeff giving me a hand :-P
Once the cheese has been incorporated, add the salt and pepper for taste. 
Whisk this until all ingredients are blended. 
Add cheese mixture to the noodles. 
Put cooking spray on a pyrex baking dish. 
In a small bowl take the bread crumbs with the melted butter and mix together with a fork. 

Put the noodle mixture on the baking dish and sprinkle the crumbs evenly on the mixture. 
Put in the oven for 20 minutes. 
Have an entertaining distraction while food is baking. 
Take out of the oven and just admire.
I should have made more....
But then there would have been more of these to do. 
 Now put mac and cheese in the fridge and send off tomorrow. 
Time for a little snack in the meantime.
"Come on-a My House"-Rosemary Clooney



2 comments:

  1. Gotta try this with the Gorgonzola, thats a new one for me when it comes to Mac N cheese. That recipe is in Cooking Light? BTW, I always eat half the shredded cheese when I'm making something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gorgonzola definitely adds a distinctive flavor to this dish. The cheddar itself is delicious but then I have to admit, I like dipping it in Nutella. No I'm not pregnant if that's what you are thinking:-P

    ReplyDelete